Fuel economy is one of the most important features of a family-friendly vehicle like a crossover SUV, and while the 2015 Hyundai Tucson mpg ratings do put it above some of its competitors in West Michigan, it comes up short of its most popular rivals, like the 2015 Honda CR-V. Honda’s CR-V has been leading the crossover class for years, and the Tucson looks to still be falling behind Honda’s crossover.
Let’s take a look at how their engines compare.
Honda Builds a Superior Engine
There are three main specs we use to evaluate engines: power (in horsepower), torque (in lb-ft), and fuel economy (in mpg). Generally, it’s thought that if you want to improve your engine’s torque or power output, you need to sacrifice fuel economy, but sometimes an automaker builds an engine that is simply better than the others.
- The 2015 Hyundai Tucson has a 164-hp 2.0L four-cylinder engine with 151 lb-ft of torque, rated at 29 highway and 23 city mpg.
- The 2015 Honda CR-V 2WD LX, on the other hand, has a 2.4L four-cylinder engine with 185 hp and 181 lb-ft of torque, and earns an EPA-estimated 34 highway and 27 city mpg.*
Honda’s engine clearly has a leg up on the Tucson powertrain, but that’s not the only reason to drive a CR-V.
Honda Sets the Standard on Features
We think that the fuel economy of the CR-V is a great reason to drive one home, but its superiority over the 2015 Hyundai Tucson mpg ratings is just one reason it deserves a spot in your garage.
Each CR-V comes with the following standard features, no need to upgrade:
- Bluetooth for phone and audio
- Steering wheel-mounted controls
- Rearview camera with guidelines
- Touchscreen infotainment system
- SMS texting capabilities
- Pandora internet radio compatibility
Hyundai does have some comparable features on the Tucson, but you’ll need to upgrade it to put it on par with the entry-level CR-V.
Test Drive a CR-V
We’ve gone over the key engine specs and the features of the CR-V, but we think the best way for you to find out if this is the Honda for you is to visit us in person. Stop by a West Michigan Honda Dealer near you to take a test drive of the new CR-V.