West Michigan SUV shoppers, we want to assure you that the 2016 Ford Explorer mpg ratings are not representative of the whole crossover SUV class. Indeed, new models like the 2016 Honda Pilot are built for fuel economy, sliding easily into a family budget thanks to features like an available nine-speed automatic transmission and an idle stop feature, both of which are optimized for fuel conservation.
Let’s see just how different the fuel economies of an Explorer and a Pilot are.
Building Efficient Yet Powerful Engines
First, let’s take a look at those fuel economy numbers:
- The 2016 Ford Explorer mpg ratings come in at 24 mpg on the highway and 17 mpg in the city – numbers that were once respectable for an SUV of this size.
- Honda’s engineers have helped raise the bar for SUV fuel economy, and the 2016 Pilot 2WD LX earns an EPA-estimated 27 highway and 19 city mpg.*
If you’re worried about the Pilot’s capabilities, we want to reassure you that it’s more than capable of getting the job done. In fact, it can even tow more than the basic Explorer. Entry-level Explorer models can tow up to 2,000 pounds, while Pilot 2WD SUVs can tow as much as 3,500 pounds – if you need more towing, the Pilot AWD models let you pull a trailer of up to 5,000 pounds in weight.
Honda proves yet again that you do not need to compromise fuel economy for power.
What’s New on the Pilot?
This is the start of a new generation for the Pilot, and one of the many ways its differentiating itself from its competition is by adopting a luxury-inspired design. Some key updates include:
- Aerodynamic exterior curves that borrow design elements from the Acura MDX
- Soft-touch interior materials and a dash and cabin design more like that of a sedan than of a truck
- New standard features, including a multi-angle rearview camera
- New high-end Elite trim level
Test Drive a Pilot Today
We want to put you behind the wheel of the 2016 Honda Pilot so that you can see for yourself all of the areas it excels. It bests the 2016 Ford Explorer in mpg ratings and so much more; visit a West Michigan Honda Dealer today for your test drive of the new Pilot.