Are the 2016 Sienna Safety Features Enough for Your Family?
When shopping around for a new family vehicle, West Michigan drivers have quite a few choices, but are the 2016 Sienna safety features advanced enough for your family? If you’re going to be carting the kids around in this new minivan seven days a week, safety should be a top concern, and while we wouldn’t call the Sienna unsafe, it does fall behind the 2016 Honda Odyssey when it comes to safety.
Drivers expect a certain level of safety as a standard in modern minivans, and while the Sienna and Odyssey are both built with airbags, seat belts, and frames engineered to protect passengers, advanced safety features are another story. Here are a few differences in the advanced safety features of these minivans:
- Lane departure warning is an available feature on the Odyssey minivan, letting you know when you’ve started to drift from your lane; Sienna models have no comparable safety feature.
- A multi-angle rearview camera is available on the Odyssey while the Sienna only has the standard view rear camera across all of its trim levels.
- Electronic parking assist makes it easier to park the Odyssey and is available as an option on even the LX trim, while the Sienna doesn’t have a comparable feature.
You can see more differences between the two in our 2016 Toyota Sienna review.
There are two major organizations that do safety ratings, and both the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found the 2016 Honda Odyssey to be remarkably safe, while the Sienna fell behind.
- NHTSA: While both vehicles received a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Safety Rating,* the Frontal Crash Rating of the Sienna was only 4 stars while the Odyssey maintained its 5 stars for Frontal Crash Rating.
- IIHS: The 2016 Honda Odyssey earned a 2016 Top Safety Pick award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety when equipped with the available forward collision warning system,** while the Sienna was not granted any IIHS awards.
Test Drive an Odyssey
Checking the safety of a minivan should be the first step, but now that you know how the Odyssey compares to the 2016 Sienna safety features, visit a West Michigan Honda Dealer near you to take Honda’s minivan for a test drive. We think you’ll quickly see why the Odyssey is one of the best family cars on the road.
*Safety matters most, and the 2016 CR-V, Accord, Fit, Odyssey, HR-V and Pilot earned top marks with a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Government 5-Star Safety Ratings are part of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s New Car Assessment Program (www.safercar.gov). Model tested with standard side airbags (SAB).
**The following 2016 models have been awarded an esteemed TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in recognition of their excellent safety performance: Accord Sedan, Accord Coupe, CR-V, Pilot, and Odyssey.